There is almost nothing left of the fort built by Napoleon in 1804. Located on the edge of the cliffs between Carnot harbour and Le Portal cove, Mont de Couppes is, however, a fine reminder of the Camp of Boulogne. The view from this hill will render even the most talkative among us silent. A vast beach is revealed at low tide. Opposite, the massive outline of Fort de l'Heurt can be seen out at sea. This was also built by Napoleon.
A strategic location
Looking out to sea and at this majestic view, it is easy to quickly comprehend why Napoleon had the redoubt, which was built on this very spot by Louis XV, fortified. Fort du Mont de Couppes, which served as quarters for the troops, provides an extensive view directly across the Channel. The location is strategic.
A coastal battery
The remains which can be seen today are those of a battery which was built on the foundations of the Napoleonic fort. Built in 1886 within a surrounding wall which has since disappeared, it contained barracks, a powder store, two rooms with traverse rails, toilets, a guard room and even a well. Barracks alongside housed the officers, non-commissioned officers and about sixty men.
A walk overlooking the sea
Although largely destroyed during the Second World War, the site was used by German soldiers during the occupation. Today, only the barracks and two traverses can be seen. The battery is not open to visitors, but Mont de Couppes makes for a superb destination for a walk.
A new type of residence
Mont de Couppes is now a place of discovery for schoolchildren and nature lovers alike thanks to the presence of the Centre d'hébergements on the site. Here, classes can find out about the sea and nature, and sports and cultural associations and leisure and social centres, etc. can stay. Five single-storey accommodation buildings (35 bedrooms with 1 to 5 beds, with a total capacity of 100 beds) are tucked away in the heart of a 3,800m² garden.